Between being in Switzerland for three months and all the new games
out for the Christmas
season I have a giant backlog of interesting computer games to play.
Should last me for six months! If you're thinking of a gift for the
gamer geek in your life, maybe this list will help you.
- Shadow of the Colossus (PS/2)
- Poetic and innovative platform game for the PS/2. I've played a
bit and it's really beautiful.
- Civilization IV (PC)
- Empire building and wargames, many hours time sink.
- Burnout: Revenge (Xbox)
- Arcade racer; not clear it add much to last year's standout
Takedown, but it's fun.
- Battlefield 2: Special Forces (PC)
- BF2 is the only online FPS worth playing. This expansion pack is
getting mixed reviews, but it's sort of unavoidable.
- The Warriors (Xbox)
- Cheesy 70s gang movie made into a Rockstar ultraviolence game. On
a quick play it's pretty damn silly, but amusing.
- Puzzle Pirates (PC, Mac)
- I actually got into this while still in Zürich. It's a very
innovative game, a cross between an MMOG and a bunch of Tetris-like
puzzle games. Pleasant diversion.
Elite (PC, Xbox, PS/2)
- Sniper simulation. The reviews are pretty poor, but I'm a sucker
for this kind of gameplay.
- Rag Doll Kung Fu (PC)
- Indie game excitement of the year, distributed online via Steam. I
haven't seen a review yet, not sure if it's worth my time.
What's missing from this list is a good story based RPG. I haven't
seen one this Christmas season. It's a shame