Last weekend was a short summer trip up to
an old Gold Rush town in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada. Fun old
towns and great wineries. Some good things around there:
- Latcham Winery
- One of our favourites, excellent and friendly with reasonable
prices. Good Barbera right now, smooth.
- Lava Cap Winery
- A new find for us. Very powerful wines - the
reserve is terrific.
- Cafe Luna
- Excellent Placerville restaurant, great local wine list.
- Zachary Jacques Restaurant
- Frenchman transplanted to California gold country. Odd place with
funky decor and excellent food. Gateau St. Honore!
- Cary House Hotel
- Easy and nice hotel in Placerville. Service is not well trained
but it's a good place to stay.
- Sutter Creek, CA
- Cute touristy town, excellent antiques store. Good place for lunch
and milling about between wineries.