Ken and I have a trip planned
. Many thanks to everyone who wrote in with
suggestions! Australia is a very popular place.
If you think you want to visit, read
In a Sunburned Country
. It's great light
travel reading, with lots of insight, and will definitely make you
eager to visit.
We're the type of travellers who have to have every
night's hotel planned before we leave. Unfortunate
for spontaneity but good for avoiding stress. Here's the plan:
- Mar 1–6 Sydney
- Get over jet lag, enjoy Sydney, take it easy. And go to Sydney Mardi Gras.
- Mar 6–10 Tasmania
- Hobart, Strahan, and Devonport. The big plan is to ride
Coast Wilderness Railway, but there's lots to see. Unfortunately the world
Lodge was full.
- Mar 10–17 Melbourne, Victoria
- People say Melbourne's even better than Sydney, particularly for
food. We could only squeeze in three days in the city, because then
we're headed inland to the gold town Ballarat, the river town
Bendigo, another gold town.
- Mar 17–21 New South Wales
- Back towards Sydney to see the beautiful areas near the city; the
Hunter Valley and the Blue Mountains.
Australia is a huge place. Even touching only one this one corner
we've got about 28 hours of driving planned and three different
domestic flights. Have to leave Adelaide, Canberra, Perth, Alice
Springs, Cairns, and the whole middle of the country as well as The
Reef for another time.